Candid, fun and natural wedding photography
We want you to be totally yourselves…
We want the in-between moments, the unexpected tears, the craziness, the imperfection, laughs, the dance party and the connections. When you look back at your photos, we want it to totally represent you and what your wedding day was. Capturing the emotion and joy and love!
This means that we cover the entire wedding (except for family photos) in a totally candid, unobtrusive and reportage style of shooting. So no posing at all. During your wedding location portraits, we will just give you a little bit of direction but there will be no posing. ! We won’t influence the day at all. So the only thing you have to do is totally relax and enjoy your wedding day knowing that you will get beautiful photos of the story of your day.
You don’t have to do anything for photos, or go anywhere for photos, or pretend to do something for photos. Your only job is to have an amazing time at your wedding!
Photographing a wedding this way means you will get a true representation and the true story of the day.
If you are the sort of person, where the very thought of wedding photos just fills you with dread… then this is the style of photography you might need. No awkward smiles, no stiff poses just beautiful natural moments.
Wedding Photography Style
Our documentary wedding photography style guarantees that our photos tell the true and unscripted story of your day. Not a sequence of poses or arranged photos that have no resemblance to the emotions, feelings, atmosphere of your wedding day. These days, weddings don’t need to be formal and stuffy, nor does the photography. The photographs at your wedding are the only things that become more valuable, important and significant as the years go on.
You have probably heard the phrase, “The cake gets eaten, the flowers die but your wedding photos will last forever”. It is an overused statement, but it does have some truth to it. After your wedding, as the years go on, the flowers, decorations, cake, the wedding dress, shoes and all those tiny details will be so unimportant to you. And as you start a family and show your children your wedding photos, which could be five or ten years from now, you will want to relive that day with them. Show them exactly what it was like. The joy, the tears, the emotion. Even the tastes, smells and sounds can be expressed and seen in photos.
Documentary wedding photography ensures the story of the day is told. One that is fluid and genuine and beautiful.
At the core of ‘Wedding Photographer Hunter Valley‘ is our core belief that your wedding photography should be photojournalistic and candid. By photographing your wedding candidly you will get real, genuine moments captured throughout the day and night.
Hunter Valley Wedding Photography
Our typical couple…
- wants beautiful, timeless photography.
- doesn’t want to pose for photos.
- doesn’t want to leave their guests for hours to do a photoshoot with a photographer.
- is a bit camera shy.
- feels that the best photos of them are the natural candid photos.
- wants photos of their guests laughing and having a great time, not staring at the camera.
- wants to just enjoy and have an amazing time at their wedding.
It is important to us that couples enjoy their day and that photos don’t interfere or dictate the day. It is also important to us that we keep moments real and don’t contrive things, just because “it would make a good photo”. When you manufacture and set up moments you give the photos much less meaning. When you look back at the photos, you will remember that that is when “we pretended” to do something.
Our Approach to Hunter Valley Weddings
Every couple likes different photography styles. Some couples want their photos to look straight out of some glamourous bridal magazine where the train is perfectly placed out and there is light coming from every direction. Others want their photos to be more natural and to be a true representation of the day.
This wedding photography style is a little bit different from the way most Australian wedding photographers shoot weddings. So it is important to be aware that this is not a traditional wedding photography coverage where things are set up, posed or styled and therefore our shooting style is different as well.
- We won’t interfere with the flow of the day to get a photo. So we won’t direct you or your guests or tell you what to do in any way, shape or form.
- We won’t get your wedding dress and hang it on a tree. Or put your rings on your bouquet or place your shoes on a window frame. We will photograph all those tiny details as is, exactly where you laid them out and build the story from there.
- We won’t tell the best man to help the Groom with his jacket or tell your Mum to pin on your boutonniere. Because this is creating a moment that is not genuine. But we will photograph the laughter, the nerves and the reactions of all the people there.
- We won’t set up a flash behind the hairstylist and tell her to spray hairspray on you. But we will photograph your bridal party and parents reactions when they see you in your wedding dress for the first time.
- We won’t tell your bridal party to pretend to fluff your dress or jump in the air like a Toyota ad. But we will photograph them laughing and hugging you.
- We won’t stop conversations to get photos of guests looking at the camera. We will photograph them laughing, drinking and enjoying the atmosphere.
- We won’t take you away from your guest for two hours to do a photoshoot. We will photograph you playing croquet, laughing with your friends or just the two of you.
- If you would like some photos of just the two of you, we can, of course, do that. If this is something you want, we would recommend trying to do it around sunset and limiting to it to just the two of you.
We have won over fifty international, national and state wedding photography awards.
Full Time Wedding Photographer
We have been working as a full time wedding photographer for over ten years and have photographed around five hundred weddings in that time.
Our photos have been featured in many magazines and wedding blogs including Polka Dot Bride, Rock n Roll Bride, Wedded Wonderland and Nouba.
Love country weddings and the Hunter Valley
I love photographing anything outdoors in nature. A paddock, rolling hills, long grass, vineyards or a forest. That’s why I love photographing weddings in the Hunter Valley.
Best Hunter Valley Wedding Photographer
Hunter Valley Region for weddings
The Hunter Valley is without a doubt, one of the best and most popular regions for a .wedding in NSW and in Australia. Every weekend hundreds and hundreds of people travel to the Hunter Valley for weddings.
The Hunter Valley is Australia’s oldest wine region in Australia and is basically the birthplace of Australian wine. Winemaking started in 1832 when James Busby brought 20,000 vine cutting back from Europe. All the big names in Australian wine are located here in the Hunter Valley and what is even more amazing is that you can have a wedding at some of these incredible vineyards.
The Hunter Valley is located about 2 hours from Sydney or 45mins from Newcastle. It is an extremely popular destination with Sydneysiders looking for a weekend getaway, overseas visitors, concert-goers and also for weddings.
As you can tell from the map above, the Hunter region is a huge area. The lower Hunter is the main area where most of the weddings happen. Pokolbin is the main touristy centre of the Hunter Valley a location for a lot of the major wineries and wedding venues. The surrounding towns of Lovedale, Wollombi, Mount View and Broke are some other popular locations within the region.
Why you should have a Hunter Valley wedding
If you still haven’t decided where to have your wedding yet, here are some reasons why you should choose the Hunter Valley for your wedding.
- Great location – It is so close to Sydney and Newcastle which makes it really convenient for you and your guests. But it is also far enough away that you can make a destination wedding out of it. You and your wedding guests can make a weekend out of it. And I find that guests at a Hunter Valley wedding are more likely to have a better time, celebrate more and stay right to the end of the night, than a wedding in Sydney for instance.
- Plenty of accommodation – There is a huge variety of accommodation available for you and your guests and for all budgets. From big resort type accommodation at places like Crown Plaza Hunter Valley or Cypress Lakes Resort. To country cottages, luxury wilderness retreats, farmhouses and even the simple motel. Just book accommodation early especially if any concerts are scheduled, as prices inflate and books out quickly.
- Lots of activities for your guests – You guests will really want to come to a Hunter Valley wedding because they can really make a weekend out of it. There are so many activities for people to do up here. For couples, they can go wine tasting, play golf, go to restaurants and cafes and visit local boutiques. For families, they can visit Hunter Valley Gardens, visit the Hunter Valley Zoo, eat homemade ice cream or go for a horse and carriage ride.
- Most beautiful scenery – The Hunter Valley is simply beautiful. From a wedding photographers point of view, by having a Hunter Valley wedding means you get some beautiful photos and imagery. Rolling hills, vineyards for a far as the eye can see, lots of trees, rustic venues and the massive Brokenback Mountain Range surrounding the Hunter Valley. It’s a Hunter Valley wedding photographers playground.
- No travel on your wedding day – Once you are at your wedding venue in the Hunter, you are pretty much there for the entire day and night. Most awesome venues have the ability to do everything at the one place. They have accommodation for at least the wedding couple. They have a lovely place for the wedding ceremony and for photos. And they have a beautiful reception space. There is no travelling around for you or your guests, which is huge. Once you are there you and your guests can totally relax. Which means you can spend more time with the important people in your life, and less time travelling from one location to the next. Pro tip – organise one or two buses at the end of the night to take your guests back to their accommodation. That way they can drink and celebrate the night away with you, and can get back to their rooms safely.
- Best wedding venues – I have photographed weddings all over Australia and I can confidently say that the Hunter Valley has some of the best wedding venues in Australia. Their facilities are world-class and the owners are constantly reinvesting their profits back into the business and upgrading their facilities. Every time I go back to venues I can see they have added something to improve their property. They are also so friendly and helpful to their couples. They will bend over backwards to make sure you have an amazing day. They want you to have an amazing time and they want great reviews for their business and they work hard to get it. This is also reflected in its staff. Most of these venues have had the same local staff working for them for years and years. These are not backpackers that are there for a short time and then move on to the next town. They have amazingly friendly staff they know you by name and work hard all day and night.
There is no doubt that a Hunter Valley wedding is one of the best decisions you can make. It is a wonderful wedding destination and it is popular for a very good reason.
HUNTER VALLEY WEDDING PLANNING RESOURCES
Advice & tips for your wedding
Not all wedding dresses are suitable for the Hunter Valley. Here are our top tips on how to find the right dress for you and your Hunter Valley wedding.
Are you still searching for your perfect Hunter Valley wedding venue? This is the ultimate list of the best venues in the region.
I am not the perfect photographer for every couple. Here is the ultimate guide on how to choose the right wedding for your wedding.
Our wedding experience was nothing short of amazing! We would give them more than 5 stars if we could! Leading up to the wedding they were very professional and accommodating, when planning and communicating about our big day! On the day you did an exceptional job to catch so special moments and he was so easy to work with. At times, he made us feel so comfortable, we completely forgot about the camera. We would highly recommend and would use them again for any occasion! – Many Thanks, M&J