Relaxed & Candid Wedding Photography
Easy-going, fun and full of laughs
We want the in-between moments…
the unexpected tears, the craziness, the imperfection, laughs, the dance party and the connections.
When you look back at your photos, we want it to totally represent you and what your wedding day was. Capturing the emotion and joy and love!
Just be yourselves…
Have an awesome time…
and relax knowing Ive got it covered.
Hi I’m Adam,
I am a Hunter Valley wedding photographer and I photograph weddings all over this beautiful region.
Together with my amazing wife, we have a little business is called Cavanagh Photography. And we started this website because we wanted a place that to showcase the amazing Hunter Valley region of NSW. Plus someone told me I couldn’t rank an exact match domain, so… challenge accepted.
I photograph the majority of my weddings in the Hunter Valley and it would have to be my favourite place in the world for wedding photography.
So have a look around and if you are looking for a wedding photographer who is relaxed, unobtrusive hates anything cheesy, then I’d love to hear from you.
Approach to Photographing Weddings
My goal is to capture the day in a really relaxed, fun and unobtrusive style of shooting. So no awkward posing at all. During your wedding location portraits, I will just give you a little bit of direction but it’s more like ‘let’s run up that hill’. I will never influence the day at all or set up any fake moments. So the only thing you have to do is totally relax and enjoy your wedding day knowing that you will get beautiful photos of the story of your day.
You don’t have to do anything for photos, or go anywhere for photos, or pretend to do something for photos. Your only job is to have an amazing time at your wedding!
Photographing a wedding this way means you will get a true representation and the true story of the day. And you will have an awesome time.
If you are the sort of person, where the very thought of wedding photos just fills you with dread… then my style of wedding photography might work for you. No awkward smiles, no stiff poses just beautiful natural moments.
We are so excited to share this totally epic Hunter Valley private property wedding with you all. And I am also excited to show people how good a wedding at your own home or property can be. When couples are planning a wedding, they immediately think of what region they want, and then they look…
The Adams Peak Country Estate wedding of Hannah & Nathan was the perfect country style wedding at one of my very favourite wedding venues in the Hunter Valley. Adams Peak is located in the beautiful Hunter Valley town of Broke. Which is known for its boutique wineries, hatted restaurants and of course its amazing wedding…
The Tinonee Vineyard Estate wedding of Bec & Lee was a really beautiful and and gorgeous wedding in the Hunter Valley of NSW. The little village of Broke in the Hunter Valley is where Tinonee Vineyard Estate is located. This lovely Hunter Valley wedding venue is about 20 minutes from the main tourist area of…
Wandin Valley weddings are some of our very favourite weddings and one of our favourite Hunter Valley wedding venues. We have been photographing weddings here for quite a few years. And we want to share our insight as wedding photographers on how to have an awesome wedding here. So this is your complete and ultimate…
Wedding Photographer Hunter Valley
IIf you look around ‘Wedding Photographer Hunter Valley’ you will see the sort of photos we like to take, you will see that our approach to wedding photography is very natural with a ‘hands-off’ approach. You can call it anything you want from reportage wedding photography, documentary wedding photography, candid photography style or even wedding photojournalism. But in the end, it all is basically the same thing.
We won’t stop the natural flow of the day to get photos. We won’t pause proceedings or set up shots, we won’t boss you around, we won’t break up conversations and ask people to pose for the camera. We won’t tell you to fake laugh or pretend to do anything. You really should barely know that we there and you can just concentrate on enjoying your day, knowing that an experienced professional wedding photographer will be there to capture every precious moment.
This doesn’t mean that we will be hiding in the bushes with a long lens taking photos. We will be in the thick of the action getting creative angles and trying to capture key moments.
“Our mission at Wedding Photographer Hunter Valley is to capture fleeting moments and feelings
so that when you look back at your wedding photos, you will instantly relive that moment in time at your wedding.”
Wedding Photography Style
Our documentary wedding photography style guarantees that our photos tell the true and unscripted story of your day. Not a sequence of poses or arranged photos that have no resemblance to the emotions, feelings, atmosphere of your wedding day. These days, weddings don’t need to be formal and stuffy, nor does the photography. The photographs at your wedding are the only things that become more valuable, important and significant as the years go on.
You have probably heard the phrase, “The cake gets eaten, the flowers die but your wedding photos will last forever”. It is an overused statement, but it does have some truth to it. After your wedding, as the years go on, the flowers, decorations, cake, the wedding dress, shoes and all those tiny details will be so unimportant to you. And as you start a family and show your children your wedding photos, which could be five or ten years from now, you will want to relive that day with them. Show them exactly what it was like. The joy, the tears, the emotion. Even the tastes, smells and sounds can be expressed and seen in photos.
Documentary wedding photography ensures the story of the day is told. One that is fluid and genuine and beautiful.
At the core of ‘Wedding Photographer Hunter Valley‘ is our core belief that your wedding photography should be photojournalistic and candid. By photographing your wedding candidly you will get real, genuine moments captured throughout the day and night.
We have won over fifty international, national and state wedding photography awards.
Full Time Wedding Photographer
We have been working as a full time wedding photographer for over ten years and have photographed around five hundred weddings in that time.
Our photos have been featured in many magazines and wedding blogs including Polka Dot Bride, Rock n Roll Bride, Wedded Wonderland and Nouba.
Love country weddings and the Hunter Valley
I love photographing anything outdoors in nature. A paddock, rolling hills, long grass, vineyards or a forest. That’s why I love photographing weddings in the Hunter Valley.
Best Hunter Valley Wedding Photographer
Hunter Valley Region for weddings
The Hunter Valley is without a doubt, one of the best and most popular regions for a .wedding in NSW and in Australia. Every weekend hundreds and hundreds of people travel to the Hunter Valley for weddings.
The Hunter Valley is Australia’s oldest wine region in Australia and is basically the birthplace of Australian wine. Winemaking started in 1832 when James Busby brought 20,000 vine cutting back from Europe. All the big names in Australian wine are located here in the Hunter Valley and what is even more amazing is that you can have a wedding at some of these incredible vineyards.
The Hunter region is a huge area. The lower Hunter is the main area where most of the weddings happen. Pokolbin is the main touristy centre of the Hunter Valley a location for a lot of the major wineries and wedding venues. The surrounding towns of Lovedale, Wollombi, Mount View and Broke are some other popular locations within the region.
The Hunter Valley is located about 2 hours from Sydney or 45mins from Newcastle. It is an extremely popular destination with Sydneysiders looking for a weekend getaway, overseas visitors, concert-goers and also for weddings.
Why you should have a Hunter Valley wedding
If you still haven’t decided where to have your wedding yet, here are some reasons why you should choose the Hunter Valley for your wedding.
- Great location – It is so close to Sydney and Newcastle which makes it really convenient for you and your guests. But it is also far enough away that you can make a destination wedding out of it. You and your wedding guests can make a weekend out of it. And I find that guests at a Hunter Valley wedding are more likely to have a better time, celebrate more and stay right to the end of the night, than a wedding in Sydney for instance.
- Plenty of accommodation – There is a huge variety of accommodation available for you and your guests and for all budgets. From big resort type accommodation at places like Crown Plaza Hunter Valley or Cypress Lakes Resort. To country cottages, luxury wilderness retreats, farmhouses and even the simple motel. Just book accommodation early especially if any concerts are scheduled, as prices inflate and books out quickly.
- Lots of activities for your guests – You guests will really want to come to a Hunter Valley wedding because they can really make a weekend out of it. There are so many activities for people to do up here. For couples, they can go wine tasting, play golf, go to restaurants and cafes and visit local boutiques. For families, they can visit Hunter Valley Gardens, visit the Hunter Valley Zoo, eat homemade ice cream or go for a horse and carriage ride.
- Most beautiful scenery – The Hunter Valley is simply beautiful. From a wedding photographers point of view, by having a Hunter Valley wedding means you get some beautiful photos and imagery. Rolling hills, vineyards for a far as the eye can see, lots of trees, rustic venues and the massive Brokenback Mountain Range surrounding the Hunter Valley. It’s a Hunter Valley wedding photographers playground.
- No travel on your wedding day – Once you are at your wedding venue in the Hunter, you are pretty much there for the entire day and night. Most awesome venues have the ability to do everything at the one place. They have accommodation for at least the wedding couple. They have a lovely place for the wedding ceremony and for photos. And they have a beautiful reception space. There is no travelling around for you or your guests, which is huge. Once you are there you and your guests can totally relax. Which means you can spend more time with the important people in your life, and less time travelling from one location to the next. Pro tip – organise one or two buses at the end of the night to take your guests back to their accommodation. That way they can drink and celebrate the night away with you, and can get back to their rooms safely.
- Best wedding venues – I have photographed weddings all over Australia and I can confidently say that the Hunter Valley has some of the best wedding venues in Australia. Their facilities are world-class and the owners are constantly reinvesting their profits back into the business and upgrading their facilities. Every time I go back to venues I can see they have added something to improve their property. They are also so friendly and helpful to their couples. They will bend over backwards to make sure you have an amazing day. They want you to have an amazing time and they want great reviews for their business and they work hard to get it. This is also reflected in its staff. Most of these venues have had the same local staff working for them for years and years. These are not backpackers that are there for a short time and then move on to the next town. They have amazingly friendly staff they know you by name and work hard all day and night.
There is no doubt that a Hunter Valley wedding is one of the best decisions you can make. It is a wonderful wedding destination and it is popular for a very good reason.