Hunter Valley Gardens
Hunter Valley Gardens
The Hunter Valley Gardens provide an exquisite and refined backdrop for weddings and is a really good Hunter Valley wedding venue. Situated in the heart of Pokolbin in the Hunter Valley, the gardens span over fourteen hectares of precisely groomed landscapes. It is a prominent tourist attraction in the region, often bustling with visitors during weekends and holidays. The gardens feature ten distinct display gardens, with a vast array of features such as a grand waterfall, serene lakes, over 6000 trees, 600,000 shrubs, and more than a million ground cover plants. The stunning surroundings offer countless photo opportunities for wedding couples, making it a desirable location for wedding photography.
The Roche Group is responsible for the development and creation of Hunter Valley Gardens. The idea for the gardens was conceived by the group’s founder, Bill Roche, who decided to fulfil his lifelong ambition by building a garden that could be cherished for generations to come. Construction on the project began in 1999 and involved a team of 40-50 skilled landscape gardeners, engineers, and architects. After years of hard work, the gardens were finally completed and opened to the public in October 2003 by the premier of New South Wales.
The Hunter Valley Gardens are frequently chosen as the venue for wedding ceremonies and receptions. Additionally, many couples visit the gardens solely for the purpose of capturing breathtaking photos. The gardens’ popularity as a wedding destination is evident, as countless weddings have been held and photographed at the venue.
Hunter Valley Gardens Wedding Venue
Accommodation at Hunter Valley Gardens
The Hunter Valley Gardens itself does not have accommodation. But there is the Mecure Resort which is owned by the Hunter Valley Gardens and located near the shopping village.
The area is surrounded by an array of hotels, resorts, bed & breakfasts, and farm stays, so there is an abundance of choices available.
Ceremony Options at Hunter Valley Gardens
The Hunter Valley Gardens offer a range of stunning options for wedding ceremonies and receptions:
- Sunken Garden – This is a highly sought-after ceremony location, with the ceremony taking place on the grass with the waterfall in the background. It is one of the most popular spots and has been a location for many weddings.
- Lakes Walk Rotunda – A picturesque English-style rotunda set among the gardens, overlooking the lake. This location is perfect for couples who want a beautiful backdrop for their ceremony, but it is also an excellent location for photos.
- Waterfall Outlook – Located above the Sunken Garden, this location is perfect for more intimate ceremonies. The view of the waterfall makes for a stunning backdrop for your special day.
- Oriental Garden – The ornate pagoda, red bridge, and Oriental plants make this location perfect for photos, and it is also a great spot for pre-dinner drinks and canapés.
- Formal Garden – This three-tiered European garden is a fantastic location for larger ceremonies and marquee set-ups for receptions. It is an excellent option for couples looking for a grander location for their special day.
- The Chapel – For couples looking for a more traditional setting for their ceremony, The Chapel is a great option. It can accommodate up to 150 guests.
Wedding Photo Opportunites at Hunter Valley Gardens
The Hunter Valley Gardens boast ten distinctively themed display gardens, each with its own unique ambience and look.
So it is really easy to walk around the gardens and get a variety of different backdrops and looks for your wedding photos.
Many wedding couples just go to the Hunter Valley Gardens for their wedding photos. And it is a really good choice in Winter when there are no leaves on the vines.
Wedding Reception Options at Hunter Valley Gardens
Typically, wedding receptions at the Hunter Valley Gardens are held in the Garden Terrace. This lovely cafe by day is transformed into a wedding space that can accommodate up to 120 guests for a sit-down dinner reception.
For larger weddings, the European Formal Garden offers the option of setting up a marquee that can accommodate up to 200 guests.
Hunter Valley Gardens weddings
The Hunter Valley Gardens is a really good option for wedding ceremonies and wedding photos. The gardens are just beautiful and it is really easy to get really beautiful wedding photos here.
It is also a really excellent choice in Winter as the vines in the vineyards are just sticks.
The cafe is the main reception venue so this is what lets it down. It looks like a cafe that is hosting an event and it doesn’t elegance or atmosphere that most couples are looking for. It is ok, but it’s not wow. I’ve never photographed a marquee wedding here, but I think it would work well.
So if the owners of the Hunter Valley Gardens ever read this, here is some free advice if you want to get serious about weddings. Build a dedicated wedding venue space, down by ‘The Lakes Walk’. It is the least used place in the gardens. It is close to The Chapel and the Lakes Walk Rotunda. Built a big, tall barn-like structure or a permanent marquee with concrete floors and you will book out for weddings.
Hunter Valley Gardens Weddings
Address: 2090 Broke Rd, Pokolbin NSW 2320